Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Privacy Issues

This week as part of the 24 Things Program at KCPL, we are supposed to discuss how we feel about privacy on the internet. Having worked in the financial services industry, I am very aware of how easily hackers can reach into your computer. Changing passwords regularly and always working on computers with virus and security software are a must. Phishing schemes are a constant threat & I never open emails from addresses unknown to me.Even following all good common sense rules, I still am apprehensive about what a determined person could do with just a little information.

There are four "Natalie Ruppert's" that show up on a US google search. The only information available about me is my personal address, but with that you can easily find the exact location and a picture of my home. I think people have to very careful about posting the happenings in their personal lives on social networking sites, because potential thieves could easily figure out vacation or regular work schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment