I finally made it through the ITUNES store to discover how Podcasting actually works (always a little more complicated than the Commoncraft videos make the technology appear!)
I am overwhelmed by the amount of information available today, in just about any form imaginable. The array of technology present for communications purposes makes me feel like I can hardly sleep. You can learn or be entertained constantly. I am afraid that finally understanding that I can subscribe to all of my favorite news programs and stay on top of the latest book reviews through subscribing to Podcasts actually makes me nervous. I have no excuse for not knowing something anymore!
Multitasking on the computer just became a whole lot easier as well. You can be listening to a Podcast to bring you up to date on a favorite topic, while working on an MS Word document or Excel spreadsheet simultaneously. Listening to Podcasts & walking does not necessarily seem to be a good idea. I have a high school/college friend who was killed by a drunk teenager coming home from a prom in the wee hours, while listening to her IPOD. I pity the family of the poor jogger who just lost his life in Hilton Head, because he did not hear a distressed plane gliding towards him.
I found many Podcasts that I could subscribe to including Bloomberg News Updates, Daily Analyst Reports from the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times Book Review. I was interested to see that many of the resources we use here in the library are available in Podcast form including Commoncraft Videos, Learning Languages & How Stuff Works.
A couple ways the Kenton County Library could enhance its mission by using Podcasts would be a couple entitled:
1) How To Create A Simple Resume On Line
2) How To Get Started Using MS Word
3) How To Use The Library's On-Line Catalog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment